St James The Apostle Anglican Church, Wallaceburg
Sunday services at 8:00 am and 11:00 am
Scroll down for events calendar and photo gallery
A Message To Members of St James the Apostle Anglican Church
We have now heard from Bishop Todd that the College of Bishops for the Ecclesiastical Province of Ontario have decided and are directing/recommending that the closing of church buildings, services and programs be extended until further notice and that direction certainly will take us past Holy Week and Easter Sunday.
We do not know when this will change but will pass on to you whatever we find out when we know more.
Records show St. James’ the Apostle Anglican church began in 1864 with a minister but no building. In the 1870’s the old Methodist Church in Wallaceburg was purchased and renovated and became known as Holy Trinity. After it was destroyed by fire in 1895, the congregation met in various locations.
St. James’ The Apostle church at 719 James Street was built in 1895/1896 and opened in March 1896 on land donated by Captain James W. Steinhoff.
Buildings have been added over the years: The Rectory was planned and built by Rev. Charles in 1911, Steinhoff Memorial Hall in 1924 donated in memory of JW’s wife, the Norman Bell Tower in 1947 donated by Eve Kelly Steinhoff McDougall in memory of her Husband Herbert John, and St. James’ Hall built in 1959. All of these additions expanded the space and facilities available to the parishioners and local inhabitants in and around Wallaceburg.
Over more than 150 years of existence, many renovations have occurred to St. James’. The church members have also changed in numbers and families. They have donated their time, expertise and money to keep St. James’ the Apostle a viable place to worship and to assist others in time of need.